Study Tour

The next Peace and Reconciliation China Study Tour (or China Study Tour for short) is scheduled for the summer of 2025 (most likely in July 2025).  It is an intensive 2-week immersion program on the history of WWII in Asia.  Last time it was held was in July 2017.  Due to Covid-19, it was repeatedly postponed, and it is now planned to occur in the summer of 2025, which also marks the 80th anniversary of the end of WWII.

Objective:  The objective is to increase the participants’ knowledge of WWII history in Asia, and at the same time, learn more about the current world situation and pay special attention to avoid world conflicts that could lead to wars, possibly including nuclear wars. Hopefully upon their return, they would work toward peace, so that atrocities like those occurring in WWII will not happen again anywhere on earth.

The target audience will consist of people from the following categories:

  • High school, as well as college teachers and educators
  • Documentary film makers
  • Community leaders and activists
  • College students and young professionals
  • Historians, researchers, lawyers, as well as other professions
  • Especially people who are interested and want to be involved in peace movements

Participants will come mostly from the U.S. and Canada, but could come from any part of the world.  The number of participants will be 15-20.

Details of the 2025 China Study Tour will be worked out during this coming year and will be announced in the 2nd half of 2024.

Finance:  NJ-ALPHA will give each selected participant a fellowship that will pay for about 75% of all the in-China travel and living expenses (the fellowship is estimated to be worth about $4,000 per participant).  Each participant will be responsible for the remaining 25%, and also for his/her own international travel between their origin and China (estimated to be around $2,500 and $3,000), as well as the cost of their China visa.

Besides providing a financial fellowship, the China Study Tour provides a once-in-a-lifetime learning and life-changing experience (based on the words of many former participants).

Application:  Click here for the application form (the application form and instructions will be posted here starting in the fall of 2024).  The application deadline is 1/15/2025, and the selection will be decided by 3/15/2025.  Each applicant is expected to participate in a full-day Zoom orientation program to be scheduled around May 2025.

Previous Overall Reflections:

For a summary of the highlights of the 2017 study tour:

For an overall reflection of the 2014 study tour:

For an overall reflection of the 2008 study tour:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *