Objective of NJ-ALPHA
The New Jersey Alliance for Learning and Preserving the History of WWII in Asia (NJ-ALPHA) was established 20 years ago in 2003. Its purpose is stated:
“It is a terrible travesty of justice that suffering of a third of the population of Asia during World War II should be neglected from the global history taught currently in the West and, consequently, relegated to the “attic of history.” What is even more unforgivable is that history may be repeating itself that could cause unimaginable pain, suffering, and tragedy to the world because we do not learn from this part of history.”
Furthermore, it also reminded us of 3 quotes:
- “Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” – George Santayana
- “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “The world is a dangerous place not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” – Albert Einstein
NJ-ALPHA recently conducted a review of its objective. We found:
- NJ-ALPHA has achieved a great deal to help improve high school education on WWII atrocities in Asia.
- But the sufferings and atrocities that millions of people, especially all over Asia, had experienced 80 years ago have not been acknowledged, and the victims have not been compensated.
- Recent events in the world, like revival of Japanese militarism, anti-China hate crimes and anti-China boycotts and trade tariffs, various military alliances against China are bringing the world closer to repeating history and leading the world closer to war, including nuclear wars.
- The original objective of NJ-ALPHA should remain to be our objective today
- That objective is even more important for the world today, because history may be repeating itself, with the survival and basic existence of the human race at stake.